We are committed to protecting and securing the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. If at any point you want to know more about our policy you can contact us at email@example.com or via our contact details below.
Importantly, Ryman Healthcare is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the “Privacy Act”) and the privacy provisions of other applicable legislation. In particular, Ryman Healthcare must adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles (“the APPs”) in relation to collecting, holding, using, disclosing, securing and allowing access to your personal information.
'Personal information' is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person) which is in a form which enables that person to be identified.
Your personal information
The kinds of personal information collected by us may include (but is not limited to):
- your name
- your date of birth;
- your address (home and/or work);
- landline and mobile telephone numbers;
- email address;
- any correspondence between you and us;
- any other personal information provided to us when you make an inquiry, request information, respond to marketing or lodge a complaint.
If you are a resident of one of our retirement villages, we may also collect:
- contact and identification details of family members;
- contact and identification details of any third party that you have authorised to negotiate or provide your personal information on your behalf (including any family members or attorneys appointed by you under a power of attorney); and
- your banking or payment details.
If you are an employee, contractor, business partner, service provider or job applicant we may also collect:
- personal information provided when you commence a business relationship with us;
- personal information provided when you seek employment with us or after you commence employment with us (for example, educational qualifications and information about your past work history);
- banking, tax and superannuation funds details.
If you are a resident, we may also collect sensitive personal information about you, such as health information. Health information may include information about:
- any illness, injury or disability you may have and any treatment or medication that you are receiving;
- your expressed wishes about the future provision of health services to you;
- a health service provided, or to be provided, to you.
The privacy laws impose more onerous obligations on us regarding the handling of your sensitive information. We will only collect your sensitive information if:
- you have expressly consented to us doing so;
- the information is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to our business activities or functions;
- we are permitted to do so under the APPs (for example, where the collection is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to life, health or safety, or to provide a health service to you);
- we are required or authorised to do so by law.
We also use CCTV cameras to record footage at our villages. This footage may constitute ‘personal information’ as defined in the Privacy Act.
How we collect personal information
We may collect your personal information in a variety of ways, for example:
- directly from you, such as when you correspond with us in writing (such as by letters and emails), request information or contact us through our website or by telephone, provide your business card or other documents to us (such as application forms) or meet with us in person;
- from third parties we deal with, such as relatives, powers of attorney, our professional advisers, contracted service providers, health care providers or any other organisation with whom we do business;
- from third party websites we advertise on;
- from other companies within the Ryman Healthcare group.
If you provide us with personal information about another person, you must ensure that you are authorised to do so. You must also inform that person of who we are, that we will use and disclose their personal information in accordance with this policy, and that they can gain access to that information in accordance with this policy.
Why we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to provide you with the services and information you request, and to perform our functions and activities. If you do not provide us with the information we request, we may be unable to provide you with a service or maintain a relationship with you.
In particular, we may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- maintaining and updating our records, where required;
- any other purpose which relates to or arises out of requests made by you;
- doing anything which you authorise or consent to us doing (including the provision of care services);
- responding to any complaint you may have;
- CCTV footage specifically may be used for detecting and deterring criminal behaviour at our villages and monitoring the safety and security of our residents, staff and property;
- taking any action we are required or authorised by law to take.
If you are a resident of one of our retirement villages, we also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- responding to your requests and inquiries, including providing you with any information requested by you;
- ensuring that you receive any necessary health or medical service, or any other service required;
- managing and maintaining our retirement villages.
If you are an employee, contractor, business partner, service provider, job applicant or visitor on our site, we also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- assessing your application for employment;
- your employment relationship with us;
- your business or other professional relationship with us.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees;
- other companies within the Ryman Healthcare group;
- to health care professionals or other individuals (such as family members or carers), with your consent or where required or authorised by law;
- your representative, for example, lawyer or attorney, as authorised by you;
- our business partners and service providers, for example, IT and administrative service providers;
- our professional advisers, such as insurers, accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- government and regulatory authorities, including taxation authorities or the police, where required or authorised by law to disclose your personal information;
- social media sites and organisations (such as Facebook) and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- other entities, with your consent (either express or implied).
From time to time, we may disclose your personal information to entities outside of Australia, including other companies within the Ryman Healthcare group. These countries include New Zealand. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas entity to whom we disclose your personal information is carefully chosen and has policies, procedures and systems in place to ensure your personal information is handled in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Our website and your privacy
When you visit our websites (such as www.rymanhealthcare.com, www.rymanhealthcare.co.nz, www.rymanhealthcare.com.au, careers.rymanheatlcare.co.nz), we may collect certain information about your visit including the time and date of your visit, any information or documentation that you download, your IP address, your browser type, referring website address and cookies. This enables us to assess the effectiveness of our website. Cookies do not reveal personal information, such as your name, address, phone numbers or email address. You can adjust your browser to disable cookies, but this may restrict your ability to access certain areas of our website.
Security of your personal information
The security of your personal information is important to us and we will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We have implemented policies, procedures and systems to keep your personal information secure.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy personal information where we no longer require the information, or we are no longer required by law to retain that information.
Help us keep your information accurate
We aim to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading.
To assist us with this, please contact us if you are aware of any changes required to your personal information.
You can access your information
You have a right to access, update and correct personal information that we hold about you.
Requests for access to personal information should be made by email, post or phone using the details provided under the ‘Contacting us’ heading. Before providing access to or correcting your personal information, we may also require you to verify your identity.
Enquiries and complaints
We want to hear from you. Enquiries or concerns about privacy matters should be made in writing as detailed below under the heading “Contacting us”. We will respond to all enquiries as quickly as possible.
If you are not satisfied with how we have handled your matter, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the details listed on the www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page.
You may contact us by:
- Writing to: Ryman Healthcare (Australia) Pty Ltd, PO Box 5391, Brandon Park, Victoria 3150
- Emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephoning: 1800 822 899 between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.